The mission of the Department of Public Administration at Villanova University is to prepare undergraduate and graduate students for meaningful work in public service by providing them with the theoretical foundations and tools they need to become skilled, thoughtful, inclusive, and ethical leaders in service to the common good. Courses expose students to an array of interdisciplinary approaches to the field, scholarly literature and practitioner trends, and place an emphasis on the development of critical thinking, professional writing, and public speaking skills. Through coursework and departmental events, students gain first-hand knowledge of effective practices in the government and nonprofit sectors as well as experience in networking and professional development.
MPA Program’s Mission
The mission of the Master of Public Administration program is to offer graduates the knowledge of values, roles, skills, and practices that will help them become competent professionals capable of ethical, intelligent, inclusive, and creative leadership in public service.
The Four Goals of Our Mission
- Stress the study of how values from political (constitutional and legal), philosophic, and religious traditions, guide the actions of successful public administrators.
- Offer an interdisciplinary curriculum featuring the integration of knowledge from sociology, political science, economics, education, psychology, communication, history, philosophy, and statistics.
- Nurture a sense of service to community and a focus on the common good
- by featuring the study of successful public administrators as roles models.
- by exploring the traditions and approaches in public administration theory.
- by promoting leadership in the areas of diversity and inclusion.
- by emphasizing transparency, accountability, and equity in public administration
- Emphasize the importance of practical experience
- by discussing case studies
- by using simulations
- by requiring an internship for students lacking such management experience.
Our History and Program
Founded in 1842, Villanova University has been providing academic excellence for generations. U.S. News & World Report has ranked Villanova as the #1 Regional University in the North – a distinction held for nearly two decades – and the MPA degree program is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Public Affairs and Administration (NASPAA). In addition to our on-campus graduate program, we recently launched a state-of-the-art online program. Students all over the world now have access to the same high-quality education and degree as campus-based students through the following:
- Instructor-led live, virtual classes through two-way online voice communication
- Real-time chat rooms and discussion boards for networking and interaction
- Video-based, MP3 and MP4 course lectures
- Animations, simulations and interactions to maximize learning
To find out more about Villanova’s Graduate Program in Public Administration, click here.
To find out more about Villanova’s new Online Graduate Program, powered by University Alliance, click here.
To read more about our Diversity, Inclusion and Equity Statement, click here.
To find out more about MPA program’s learning objectives, click here.