The mission of the Master of Public Administration program is to offer graduates the knowledge of values, roles, skills, and practices that will help them become competent professionals capable of ethical, intelligent, and creative leadership in the public service. As a member of the Network of Schools of Public Policy, Affairs, and Administration (NASPAA), the MPA program’s mission and set of goals also reflect NASPAA’s Code of Good Practice.
The Four Goals of Our Mission
- Stress the study of how values from political (constitutional and legal), philosophic, and religious traditions, guide the actions of successful public administrators.
- Offer an interdisciplinary curriculum featuring the integration of knowledge from sociology, political science, economics, psychology, communication, history, philosophy, and statistics.
- Nurture a sense of service to community
- by featuring the study of successful public administrators as roles models.
- by exploring the traditions and approaches in public administration theory
- Emphasize the importance of practical experience
- by discussing case studies of public administration in practice.
- by using simulations and other exercises to use knowledge in the safe environment of the classroom.
- by stressing the need for work experience in the application of public administration knowledge
- by requiring an internship for students lacking such experience.
The MPA faculty’s approach to teaching – both in the classroom and in one-on-one interactions with students – is a very Augustinian one.
Our History and Program
Founded in 1842, Villanova University has been providing academic excellence for generations. U.S. News & World Report has ranked Villanova as the #1 Regional University in the North – a distinction held for nearly two decades – and the MPA degree program is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Public Affairs and Administration (NASPAA). In addition to our on-campus graduate program, we recently launched a state-of-the-art online program. Students all over the world now have access to the same high-quality education and degree as campus-based students through the following:
- Instructor-led live, virtual classes through two-way online voice communication
- Real-time chat rooms and discussion boards for networking and interaction
- Video-based, MP3 and MP4 course lectures
- Animations, simulations and interactions to maximize learning
To find out more about Villanova’s Graduate Program in Public Administration, click here.
To find out more about Villanova’s new Online Graduate Program, powered by University Alliance, click here.